I have
had some people ask me what my normal day looks like. Well let me just say,
there is no such thing as a "normal day" here. Each day has something
new and different to it. However, I did decided to post a sort of album to show
what I see and do on either a daily basis or weekly. Believe it or not, these
are just a few of the pictures that depict my African life.
Between 3:30 and 5:00
am. I wake up (roommates get up)
Actually get up around
7ish
 |
| My Home. |
 |
Bucket Bath. Sometimes Ivy will get it for me, other times I gather it from the well. Both in the morning
then again at night. |
 |
I use the small white one unless I am going to wash my hair,
then I use the big green one. |
 |
| My house the the green roof one. To the left is our well. |
 |
I typically wash my clothes once or twice a week. I also wash Lady's many times.
However, she is now learning how to do it herself, so I typically just help her.
So all in all I wash 2 to 3 times each week. |
 |
| Sometimes I wash and make breakfast at the same time. |
 |
| Our clothes line. |
 |
| Our dog Brownie. Original name. |
 |
No big deal, We have palm trees.
|
 |
| O and fresh fruit anytime we want. :) |
I take the walk from Afiaman (where I live) to Amasaman hospital which is probably somewhere under 2 miles-ish. This is my walk.
 |
| The road to my home. |
 |
| This is the bar right outside my house. |
 |
| This is where some more of Mama N. family lives. right across from us. |
 |
This is the home of some of my favorite kids.
Some days on my way home I will play some Futbol with them. |
 |
| Some more friendly faces that live in the home above. |
 |
| These are my boys. We talk everyday and sometimes play Futbol. |
 |
| I don't know why, but I think this sign is pretty funny. I see it everyday on my walk. |
 |
| I LOVE these little girls. They run to the road to welcome me everyday as I walk by. |
 |
This is their mom. She sells food.
|
 |
| This is Elizabeth and her family. We talk each day as I walk to town. I like to buy coconut from her. |
 |
| On my walk the shepherds take their flock out to graze. |
 |
| My good friend Sofia. I buy most of my fruit from her. |
 |
This is the taxi station on my walk to Amasaman.
Typically people try to give me a ride, but it is with a marriage proposal,
so I typically decline. |
 |
| A few oranges. |
 |
| Some more friends. |
 |
| Crossing the 4 lanes traffic to get to town |
 |
| These are some of my friends that I talk to most everyday once in town. |
 |
| Part of the Amasaman market. |
 |
| Market continued. This is also where I use to take the trotro to go to Korle Bu to see Lady. |
 |
| Faustina's store |
 |
Faustina and the twins at her store. Most days now I spend some time with them
helping sell stuff (I am not too good at it sine I can barley understand what people
are asking for). |
 |
| This is Christian he likes to have his picture taken...Daily. |
 |
Love this guy. He tries to sell me this mystery purple drink on a daily basis.
He sings me a song and all. |
 |
| Best cloud that helped keep my walk cool. |
 |
| At the hospital |
Once I arrive at the hospital, Lady and I do everything from playing, washing clothes, me washing her hair, her playing with my hair, hand games, playing with the other patients, etc. Since she "goes to school" at this hospital, our studies have really slowed down. I dont blame her but she doesn't want to do school with me when she has just been in school. My only problem with that is this school does nothing. This is where I am finding it hard to balance what I should be doing.
 |
| I bring Lady 3 meals a day. This is a pretty standard meal. Banku and fish. |
 |
| She loves to call my family. |
 |
| Cheers. |
 |
You have to have a microphone to sing...she is coming around to the idea.
Ha but she likes to laugh AT me |
 |
| Eating chicken, while looking at the chickens. |
On Saturdays, I will sometimes bring Lawrence's boys to the hospital to play with Lady.
 |
when we play phone, she does a lot more talking.
But I am not allowed to look in her direction while we are on the phone. haha. |
 |
Some of the other patients that Lady likes to sit with and take pictures of.
Here they are playing a card game (a lot like spades). |
 |
| After I washed Lady's hair she wanted to wash her doll "Pricilla's" hair. |
 |
| Not only does she do her dolls hair but look at this masterpiece hahaha. |
 |
| Lady loves doing this! |
My favorite days are when it rains. It is a beautiful sight and it smells wonderful! I love that everything cools down for at least a small time.
 |
| This is Heritage College |
Life was totally different when I went to Korle Bu each day. Instead of spending the mornings in the house, I would wake up early and walk to get the trotro to see Lady. We would spend a lot of time doing school and playing. These next pictures are some of the typical faces that I saw.
 |
The boy in the front would also come and hold my hand.
He was burned really badly however, he is doing much better!
The last time I saw him, he had most of the bandages off his sweet little hands. |
 |
It was always hard to hear all of these little kids crying out for their moms when
visitation was over. You would see them putting their faces against the window crying. |
 |
| I love this kid. He always broke my heart but I liked to see his mom with him a lot of the time. |
Time at the house.
 |
Since I spend most of the morning at home I sometimes play with the neighbors and
PK (He is living here with us now with his prego mom, she is due this week.
Soon we will add another to the house :) ) These kids love the crayons and color sheets
I brought. |
 |
| These are my twin neighbors. Penny and Cocra. They practically live with us. Their mom is the one who owns the bar next door. These two crack me up on a daily basis. I mean look at that smile. |
 |
| She was trying to hear the music without earphones. |
 |
| ahha |
Time at church.
 |
| She slept on me for two hours during service. |
 |
| Sunday morning. |
 |
It is nice because I can take Lady to church now. O and she LOVES coming.
She always asks when the next time will be. |
 |
| On Thursday evenings I go with Lawrence to a youth event class. |
Coming home. On nights minus Wed and Thur, I come home as it starts to get dark (around 6ish).
 |
This is Angelia and Rita. Sometimes we meet on the road on their way home so I walk
with them home and we dance and talk. I adore these two. |
 |
| Just chopping some food to help with the family business. |
 |
| This is Vera, Sofia's granddaughter. |
 |
Each evening on my way home I am welcomed with "Auntie Mary!!" by all of these awesome kids.
Sometimes I will play Futbol with them. Lots of hugs from the little ones.
I love it. |
 |
Once I am home. I will sometimes help prepare dinner. Once dinner is ready,
we will get infront of the tv for some Soap Opera action. This is also the time when Mama N and
Aunt E. talk to me about getting married. Marriage and pregnancy are their normal topics for me haha.
|
I never know
what the day will bring. For instance, yesterday I loaded Lady up and we went
to Korle Bu for a new brace (it broke 3 weeks ago and no one was fixing it).
And the fact that for the past week our well has been empty, so that gave a new
look to how daily life went (especially when it came to washing clothes
haha).
Even though, I
never know what to expect, I am so thankful to be here and have all of
these experiences to see God's Beauty. Although I don't understand
why most things are happening the way they are, I am constantly seeing Christ
working. He is so Mighty, words can not describe. I hope you are able to
see His Beauty in your day today.
Hi Mary. I enjoy reading your blog. I had brunch with Judy Lasley yesterday. She was very anxious to hear how you were doing. Please keep in touch. I have e-mailed you twice....are you getting them? May God continue to watch over you. Cheryl B.
ReplyDeleteThis is so wonderful, Mary... Definitely understand eating chicken while watching chickens, haha!! Lady looks so happy. You are doing such a great job- keep it up!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteLove getting the updates on you and Lady. It was nice to see all the people you encounter week to week. It doesn't look as much like 'Lion King' Africa as I thought, haha. You are doing such a good thing for Lady and you are not just changing her life, but possiblly her eternal life as well. Go is truly blessing you and you work there. Take it from me, after college there isn't much choice so you may want to take one of those taxi drivers up on their offer, haha. Keep the posts coming! Continuing to pray for your safety and the work you are doing.
ReplyDelete